Published on:

False Claims & Qui Tam Whistleblower Q&A: Can I blow the whistle if my employer is misusing federally earmarked funds?

above-the-bar-logo-no12.jpgGenerally, yes. If your employer is using federally earmarked funds for personal or other unauthorized uses you could be a whistleblower and entitled to a share of the funds you save the government and taxpayers. For example, if the company may be misusing federal funds that are earmarked for training programs but they are used for salaries and office expenses. In order to be a whistleblower, your claim must meet several criteria. First and perhaps most important, your claim must be based upon an original source. For example, your claim cannot be based on information in the news, publicly available or a previously filed complaint. Yes, in this case, a race to the courthouse is important. First to file is critical. Second, your claim must be substantial. Generally, Qui Tam claims are in excess of one million dollars. Third, you need to be prepared. You should work with an experienced Whistleblower Lawyer to properly gather evidence and build your case. This is critical as an early misstep can prove costly. Our New York Qui Tam and False Claims Lawyers are experienced in building whistleblower cases and can help you in your case.


Thank you for visiting our Blog. This blog provides general information and thoughts about various employment law issues primarily in the New York Tri-State area and occasionally in other areas. You are welcome to read the posts. However, do not construe any content on this blog as legal advice or the creation of an attorney-client relationship. Again, we provide the content only for informational purposes. You should not make decisions based information on our blog since the application of the law depends on the facts and each situation may be different. In addition, the law in most jurisdictions is different and changes constantly and we make no representations that any information on our blog has been updated. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from an experienced employment law attorney in your state or jurisdiction.

Contact Information