Published on:

NYS SLA Lawyer Guest Blog: Liquor License Temporary Permit & BYOB FAQ’s

We are pleased to continue our guest blog series on questions about the New York State liquor license. Our Westchester County and New York Lawyers have helped many applicants ranging from restaurants to liquor stores obtain their liquor license in an expedited manner.

above-the-bar-logo.jpgFAQ: I recently opened a restaurant and am waiting for the New York State Liquor Authority (“SLA”) to approve my application for a liquor license. In the meantime, can my customers bring their own beer or wine to the restaurant?

BYOB or “Bring Your Own Bottle” is basically where a restaurant allows its customers to bring their own beer, wine, or alcohol to drink at the premises. BYOB is not allowed in New York State at unlicensed businesses. In order to sell or serve beer, wine, or alcohol, you must have a liquor license. Even if you have applied for a license, you cannot allow your customers to bring their own alcoholic beverages to consume at your restaurant. Doing so could put your liquor license application at risk of being denied.

Our attorneys can help you expedite your liquor license application by filing an attorney certification along with your application. Call our attorneys for more information and to discuss how we can help you get your application approved faster.

FAQ: While I am waiting for my liquor license application to be approved, can I get a temporary permit to serve beer, wine, or alcohol at my restaurant?

Depending on your location and the type of license you are seeking, you may apply for a temporary permit. However, you must file the application for a temporary permit before or at the same time you file your application for a liquor license. Once issued, a temporary permit is valid for 90 days and can be extended for an additional 30 days if needed. You must file for renewal of the temporary permit before the existing temporary permit expires or your application may be denied.

If you are purchasing an existing business, the SLA may issue a temporary permit if the premises operated under a retail license within 30 days of the filing of your application for the temporary permit. In other words, the temporary permit would allow you what was permitted under the current license that it is replacing.

If you are purchasing a new business, the SLA may issue a temporary permit provided the application doesn’t fall under certain exceptions. For example, the SLA will not issue a temporary permit for a wine or liquor store, for applications that come under the 500 Foot Rule, and for applicants seeking a liquor license in New York City, which covers the counties of Kings, Queens, Bronx, New York, and Staten Island.

Our attorneys have helped many businesses obtain various types of liquor licenses in an expedited manner. Although you can submit an application on your own, our experienced attorneys can make sure that your application is complete and accurate so as to avoid any unnecessary delay or denial. For more information on how to obtain a liquor license for your business, call our New York Liquor License Attorneys at Villanueva & Sanchala at (800) 893-9645 to help you obtain your liquor license without any delays.


Thank you for visiting our Blog. This blog provides general information and thoughts about various employment law issues primarily in the New York Tri-State area and occasionally in other areas. You are welcome to read the posts. However, do not construe any content on this blog as legal advice or the creation of an attorney-client relationship. Again, we provide the content only for informational purposes. You should not make decisions based information on our blog since the application of the law depends on the facts and each situation may be different. In addition, the law in most jurisdictions is different and changes constantly and we make no representations that any information on our blog has been updated. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from an experienced employment law attorney in your state or jurisdiction.

Contact Information