Published on:

New York State SLA Lawyer Guest Q&A: Retail License Requirements and How do you Change or Transfer Your Liquor Store License to a New Location?

We are pleased to continue our guest blog series on questions about the New York State liquor license. Our Westchester County and New York Lawyers have helped many applicants ranging from restaurants to liquor stores obtain their liquor license in an expedited manner.

above-the-bar-logo.jpgFAQ: I am planning to open up a restaurant with a bar in Westchester County. Are there any basic conditions I need to meet before I can apply for a license to serve beer, wine, and alcohol?

This is a great question to consider before you invest time and money in opening up a restaurant with the intent of being able serve beer, wine, and alcohol. If being able to serve alcoholic beverages is an important factor in your decision to open a restaurant, make sure you do not fall under any of the following statutory disqualifications to obtaining a retail liquor license:

  • If you are under the age of 21;
  • If you are not a U.S. citizen or an alien legally admitted to this country having a permanent lawful residency;
  • If you have been convicted of any felony which involves promoting or allowing prostitution, or the sale of liquor without a liquor license;
  • If you had a liquor license which has been revoked; or
  • If you have a wholesale license.

If any of the above applies to your situation, call our attorneys for more information and to discuss your chances of obtaining a liquor license. Applying for a New York State liquor license can be a very time consuming and costly process if not done accurately and completely. Missing information or documents can lead to delays or rejection of your application. Before you spend considerable time and money, call our attorneys to discuss the process and learn what you will need to get your application approved.

FAQ: The lease for my liquor store is about to expire and I am planning to move my liquor store to a new location. Do I need to file a new application for a liquor store license for the new location or is there a way to transfer my license to the new location?

You do not need to file a new application for a liquor store license if you are changing locations. In order to move your currently licensed premise to a new location, you need to file an application for Petition for Removal, which can be downloaded from the SLA’s website. Similar to applying for a license for a liquor store, the removal application requires many documents, including financial information as well as diagrams and photographs of the premises. You also need to make sure that your new location is not within 200 feet of a school, church or other place of worship.

Although you can download this form from the SLA’s website and fill out it out yourself, it is advisable to call our experienced attorneys to ensure that your application is accurate, complete and not missing any information which can lead to a delay in your application being approved. Until your removal petition is approved, make sure you do not close your original liquor store. Since timing will be extremely important in your move, call our attorneys to help make sure your relocation does not end up costing you time and money.

If you are interested in obtaining a liquor license for your restaurant, wine or liquor store, grocery store, catering establishment, hotel, or any other type of establishment, call our New York Liquor License Attorneys at Villanueva & Sanchala at (800) 893-9645 to help you obtain your liquor license without any delays.


Thank you for visiting our Blog. This blog provides general information and thoughts about various employment law issues primarily in the New York Tri-State area and occasionally in other areas. You are welcome to read the posts. However, do not construe any content on this blog as legal advice or the creation of an attorney-client relationship. Again, we provide the content only for informational purposes. You should not make decisions based information on our blog since the application of the law depends on the facts and each situation may be different. In addition, the law in most jurisdictions is different and changes constantly and we make no representations that any information on our blog has been updated. The Blog should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from an experienced employment law attorney in your state or jurisdiction.

Contact Information